The public reason usually given is they had to oppose the treaty to defend home schooling, which makes no sense, so I have dug a little deeper.
- Black Helicopter Terror. It's a UN treaty. Republicans hate anything to do with the United Nations. They especially fear this treaty is part of a master plot to impose a UN dictatorship on the United States.
- Women's Rights. Because some disabled people are women, Republicans fear "Article 6(2) is a backdoor method of requiring the United States to comply with the general provisions of the UN Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women." Republicans have fought against women's rights for decades.
- Torture Rights. Republicans object to a ban on "inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment" in the treaty. Specifically they demand the right to beat disabled children.
- Children's Rights. Republicans object to this sentence in Article 7, "In all actions concerning children with disabilities, the best interests of the child shall be a primary consideration." Republicans want to be able to ignore the best interests of the child.
- Birth Certificates. Republicans hate Article 18 that states all disabled children have the right to a birth certificate.
Threat to Family Integrity by William Estrada
Dangerous UN Treaty from Examiner.com
A Danger to Homeschool Families by Michael Farris
The next time someone tells you Republicans are capable of rational thought, remind them of this treaty.