- A ten percent reduction in troop levels is insignificant. We'll still have 90,000 soldiers in country.
- The 33,000 soldier withdrawal promised by September, 2012 is nothing new, it is what he promised in 2009 when he "surged" 33,000 troops into Afghanistan.
- Which is just going back to where things were when George Bush Jr. left office.
- If it ever happens.
- The promise to "change [the mission] from combat to support" by 2014 is a meaningless distinction because...
- There will still be over 60,000 soldiers in Afghanistan which is a significant occupation force.
The final truth is that neither political nor military leaders can envision any way to gracefully extract from Afghanistan. We are stuck in a war that will be measured in decades instead of years.