Thursday, December 30, 2010

Is Nothing Sacred? (Muslim Edition)

From Rising Hegemon.
The Kaaba is that tiny black flyspeck on the left.
Forgive me if I stop being interested when Muslims claim someone is disrespecting their faith. No one can be more disrespectful than the Saudi monarchs who have build the above monstrosity to dwarf and overshadow the Kaaba, the most sacred site in Islam.

They erected a shopping mall, hotel, and clock tower into the biggest fucking phallus in history. And they have placed it obscenely next to the sacred Mosque of Mecca.

I can't imagine any other religion doing something like this to their holiest site. A Starbucks at the Wailing Wall? A soccer stadium overlooking St. Peter's Basilica? A water slide park next to the temple complex at Varanasi?

I know what the Saudi princes were thinking - tourist cash from all those pilgrims (Think of the "I went to Mecca and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" sales.). Of course, they have made every image of Mecca from here forward into a bawdy joke.
Makes Allah look small, eh?
But, it's their religion, just don't expect any sympathy when people laugh.

No comments: