Wednesday, November 09, 2016

Our Long National Nightmare Has Just Begun

Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. ~ H. L. Mencken
I've seen a lot of election defeats in my life. I've been angry, sad, depressed, confused and I'm certainly all that this morning, but I've never before been physically ill at an election result.

One thing I'm not is afraid. Maybe it's because I'm halfway through my seventh decade and there is nothing that Trump and his alt-right minions can do to me that nature won't top soon enough. Maybe it's faith in our Constitution. Then again, maybe it's just the Prozac.

There might be hope. In seventh grade my history teacher had a theory that the office of the presidency elevates a man to be greater than he was. But that teacher backed Barry Goldwater so maybe he was just a fucking idiot.

I've taken a sledgehammer to my crystal ball. That thing's a piece of shit. Right now I don't want to speculate about the future, we'll see it soon in all it's horror.

I've deleted all the links to conservative websites that I have been monitoring. They can gloat their heads off but I don't have to see it. I'm going to tune down my news obsession for a while for the same reason, the news will be full of Republicans being insufferable.

In time I'll either reenter the battlefield to fight the good fight or hunker down hoping to survive holocaust.

No comments: