Monday, March 13, 2006

'Sleep is a symptom of caffeine deprivation'

Without enough sleep, we all become tall two-year-olds. ~JoJo Jensen, Dirt Farmer Wisdom, 2002
The latest spin twirling out of the White House is that the reason for all the screw-ups is that the White House staff is sleep deprived. At one level, I want to believe that. I once put in 22 hours a day working on a San Diego City Council campaign. I slept on the floor of the campaign headquarters and made 2 am runs to Denny's for coffee. I kept it up until the campaign manager and the candidate pulled me aside and told me to go home for a couple of days, I was beginning to scare the volunteers. (We won.)

But, I can't believe these guys. This is a president who is famously an 'early-to-bed' kinda guy who vacations for months at a time. The joke from John Ashcroft was, Bush works 24/7 - 24 hours a week, 7 months a year. On entering office Bush announced that the era of long hours at the White House was over. This new line echos his theme from the first Bush-Kerry debate, "It's hard work." They are not up to the task and are resorting to lame excuses. Although, if they are having trouble sleeping I will give them this.
They have done so many mean things all their lives they can't sleep anyhow. ~ Mark Twain

1 comment:

PoliShifter said...

The begining of the end may be near if these guys are now starting to look for excuses.