Saturday, October 14, 2006

Sacrifice for the Troops or Bring Them Home

A writer at California Conservative (and Rightfielder) wrote what appeared to be a thoughtful reconsideration of the Iraq War. He had recognized all that was going wrong with the war and how impossible the task is. Then it ended with his heart going out to the servicemembers and a renewed dedication to fight a war he knew to be hopeless to the death (someone else's death).

(my reply)
I was going to congratulate you on your arrival in the world of rational thought, but, in the end you got all wobbly. Perhaps reading this will stiffen your spine. If you truly want to support the troops -
  1. Demand your government institute a military draft to quintuple the size of the Army;
  2. Demand your government significantly raise your taxes to pay for properly supplying the troops;
  3. Demand your government try, convict, and imprison war profiteers such as Halliburton;
  4. Enlist in the Army. If you are too old (the current enlistment age is 42) the chances are you have children of enlistment age, insist on pain of disinheritment that your children join the Army. Your children must join the war.
If you are not willing to make the sacrifices necessary to truly support this war with your blood and your wealth, then support the troops by bringing them home from that Hellhole they should never have been sent to in the first place. War is not a football game. Supporting the troops means more than standing on the sidelines and cheering while they are maimed and killed.

I believe you are sincere but I am sick and tired of armchair patriots who parrot "Support the Troops" as if that phrase is not meaningless rhetoric. Sacrifice for the Troops or bring them home.

1 comment:

MaD DoG RE5 said...

I agree with your statements of committing to personal sacrifice.
My family has a military history, which I hope will continue with my sons.
And I am all for higher taxes for military spending, and a draft if needed.
My quote, "my heart does go out to our service members who are pulling double and triple tours"
was meant to be kept in the context in which it was used.
That is, when any servicemember signs on, they assume they will be called to battle should one occur.
Volunteering for extended tours is one thing...but there should be a better way to fight a war than to hold men there who have small children.
One could see by reading one of my other articles
http://rightfielder.blogspot.com/2005/11/veterans-day-2005.html
that I have personally contacted families who have lost young men in Iraq, and that saying, "my heart goes out to you " for THIS would be trite indeed.