Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Keith Olbermann Proves the Power of the Spoken Word

Keith Olbermann has renewed my faith in the spoken word. I'm old enough to remember when political rhetoric actually involved using complete English sentences to express complex thoughts. I had grown to feel that this era of "sound bite" speaking had killed off the art of political speech that can touch both the soul and the mind.

Keith Olbermann's Special Comment (MSNBC's Countdown) for October 23 is an elegant dismantling of the Bush presidency. With both passion and intellect Olbermann points to how Bush and Osama Bin Laden have become allies in their mutual goal to terrorize the American people. In six years in office the only thing Bush has successfully accomplished is spreading fear itself.

It was riveting television. Read the transcript or watch the video. Be proud of the art of political discourse again.
All that need further be said is to add three words to Shakespeare. Mr. President, you, and that advertisement of terror, are full of sound and fury—signifying (and competent at) nothing. ~ Keith Olbermann, October 23, 2006

1 comment:

PoliShifter said...

I love listening to Keith's special comment. It does give me an old time feeling when I was a kid watching TV and seeing resepctable people give speeches that were just about what was true, not spin, not propaganda.

I hope he continues. I thought his show would get axed long ago due to his anti-Bush positions. But his ratings keep going up.

Thus, so far (fingers crossed) MSNBC has decided to keep him.

I can't figure out if they allow Keith to continue to get a gauge on how the public sentiment is or if the heavy weights just have not come down on whoever owns MSNBC yet.

I happen to think the powers at be are leting Keith go as an experiment.

The bottom line is gov wants to maintian law and order. If the people are discontent and can be placated by a shift in power coupled with some brilliant oration, they'll do it.